The Coalbanks - Rhymney 1882 Edition
$ 2,399.00 CAD
You are looking at a piece of history repurposed for your wrist. This manually wound timepiece is made from 136 year old train track pried from the hillside of our hometown, Lethbridge, Alberta. This durable steel rail, manufactured by Rhymney Iron of Wales in 1882, became the backbone of the coal mining industry and was an integral piece of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was sourced from the Galt No. 8 Mine site, which closed in 1957, and was a catalyst of economic development in aptly named Coalbanks (since changed to Lethbridge), as well as neighbouring towns Coalhurst and Coaldale. Larry Christmas, a previous chairman of the History and Heritage Committee of the Coal Association of Canada said: “The Galt No. 8 Mine site represents one of the most important abandoned coal mines in Canada...”
The Rhymney Iron Co was founded by some Bristol merchants trading as the Union Co to exploit a seam of iron ore found at the top of the valley. At first, the main product of the Rhymney Ironworks was wrought iron rails. They started producing steel rails in 1876, and the following year it was estimated they would be able to manufacture five hundred tons of steel rails each week. Some of those rails headed in our direction to help with Mine #8. At this time the company was recorded as owning eight hundred houses, shops and a brewery.
After years of facilitating coal transport at the Galt Mine this quality steel rail, left abandoned over half a century, now functions as the dial of our hand built and individually numbered timepiece. The Rhymney edition alone has undergone a heat process to colour the dial to a deep blue. The strap is made from none other than Hermann Oak leather from one of the finest tanneries in the USA. This edition is wrapped in a Canadian-made wood box. And of course the craftsmen who make your watch are human, not machines, ensuring your timepiece is completely unique in finish. Because our watches are made by hand, please allow for minor differences in colour and texture. We hope you love it as much as we loved making it.
Only 15 manual timepieces will be forged and finished using this piece of Wales and Canada’s shared history.
- Movement: ETA 6498-1
- Edition: Limited Edition of 15, individual numbered pieces x/15.
- Functions: Manually wound, 18,000 beats/hour, 46 hour power reserve, hours, minutes, sweeping second hand at the 5, incabloc shock protection.
- Case: 316L Stainless Steel, 42mm (not including crown), 9.6mm height.
- Caseback: 316L Stainless Steel, secured by 4 stainless steel screws.
- Dial: Machined Historical 136 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel from Rhymney rail.
- Finishing: Sandblast industrial finish.
- Hands: White hour and minute hands with luminescence. White second hand.
- Front Crystal: Sapphire
- Back Crystal: Sapphire
- Water Resistance: 5ATM
- Band: Natural 20mm Hermann Oak leather. 18mm steel buckle. 115/75 mm
- Packaging: Oak box
- Warranty: 2 Year Warranty
- Guarantee: We offer a one week compliment guarantee. If someone doesn’t love your watch within one week of wearing it…you’ve probably never left your house.
- Build Time: Approx. 4-6 weeks
- Love Time: Approx. forever
For more information, images, stories and videos GO HERE