The Coalbanks - Dowlais 1884 Edition
(1 of 15 remaining - updated December 11, 2017 at 12:31 pm MST)
You are looking at a piece of history repurposed for your wrist. This manually wound timepiece is made from 133 year old train track pried from the hillside of our hometown, Lethbridge, Alberta. This durable steel, manufactured by Dowlais Ironworks in 1884, became the backbone of the coal mining industry and was an integral piece of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was sourced from the Galt No. 8 Mine site, which closed in 1957, and was a catalyst of economic development in aptly named Coalbanks, since changed to Lethbridge, as well as neighbouring towns Coalhurst and Coaldale. Larry Christmas, a previous chairman of the History and Heritage Committee of the Coal Association of Canada said: “The Galt No. 8 Mine site represents one of the most important abandoned coal mines in Canada...”
The watches are built by hand and individually numbered. The straps are made from none other than Hermann Oak leather from one of the finest tanneries in the USA. Packaging is hand-made right here in Southern Alberta using reclaimed barn wood and of course the craftsmen who make your watch are human, not machines, ensuring your timepiece is completely unique in finish. We hope you love it as much as we loved making it.
- Movement: ETA 6498-1
- Edition: Limited Edition of 15, individual numbered pieces x/15.
- Functions: Manually wound, 18,000 beats/hour, 46 hour power reserve, hours, minutes, sweeping second hand at the 5, incabloc shock protection.
- Case: Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, 42mm dial (not including crown), 9.6mm height.
- Caseback: Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, secured by 4 stainless steel screws.
- Dial: Machined Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel
- Finishing: Ceramic coating to resist corrosion, abrasion, chemicals & impact.
- Hands: White hour and minute hands with luminescence. Red second hand.
- Front Crystal: Sapphire
- Back Crystal: Sapphire
- Water Resistance: 5ATM
- Band: 20mm Hermann Oak leather and 18mm steel buckle. 115/75 mm
- Packaging: Reclaimed barnwood reclaimed for our watches.
- Warranty: 2 Year Warranty
- Guarantee: We offer a one week compliment guarantee. If someone doesn’t love your watch within one week of wearing it…you’ve probably never left your house.
- Build Time: Approx 4-6 weeks
- Love Time: Approx forever