The Coalbanks - Dowlais 1884 Edition
You are looking at a piece of history repurposed for your wrist. This manually wound timepiece is made from 133 year old train track pried from the hillside of our hometown, Lethbridge, Alberta. This durable steel, manufactured by Dowlais Ironworks in 1884, became the backbone of the coal mining industry and was an integral piece of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was sourced from the Galt No. 8 Mine site, which closed in 1957, and was a catalyst of economic development in aptly named Coalbanks, since changed to Lethbridge, as well as neighbouring towns Coalhurst and Coaldale. Larry Christmas, a previous chairman of the History and Heritage Committee of the Coal Association of Canada said: “The Galt No. 8 Mine site represents one of the most important abandoned coal mines in Canada...”
The watches are built by hand and individually numbered. The straps are made from none other than Hermann Oak leather from one of the finest tanneries in the USA. Packaging is hand-made right here in Southern Alberta using reclaimed barn wood and of course the craftsmen who make your watch are human, not machines, ensuring your timepiece is completely unique in finish. We hope you love it as much as we loved making it.
- Movement: ETA 6498-1
- Edition: Limited Edition of 15, individual numbered pieces x/15.
- Functions: Manually wound, 18,000 beats/hour, 46 hour power reserve, hours, minutes, sweeping second hand at the 5, incabloc shock protection.
- Case: Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, 42mm dial (not including crown), 9.6mm height.
- Caseback: Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, secured by 4 stainless steel screws.
- Dial: Machined Historical 133 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel
- Finishing: Ceramic coating to resist corrosion, abrasion, chemicals & impact.
- Hands: White hour and minute hands with luminescence. Red second hand.
- Front Crystal: Sapphire
- Back Crystal: Sapphire
- Water Resistance: 5ATM
- Band: 20mm Hermann Oak leather and 18mm steel buckle. 115/75 mm
- Packaging: Reclaimed barnwood reclaimed for our watches.
- Warranty: 2 Year Warranty
- Guarantee: We offer a one week compliment guarantee. If someone doesn’t love your watch within one week of wearing it…you’ve probably never left your house.
- Build Time: Approx 4-6 weeks
- Love Time: Approx forever
Most watches lack soul…
...so at NOVO we've developed a process of infusing your meaningful memorabilia into a unique timepiece that will tell your story for generations.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to build a custom watch?
Depending on the complexity between 8 - 10 weeks.
How are you better than other companies?
We’re not! We’re different. Our focus isn’t on mass producing anything. Our focus is transferring a customer’s story to his/her wrist or pocket.
What movement do you use for your watches?
We use a Swiss ETA 6498-1 for our watches.
What can I expect when I receive my watch?
An absolutely stunning timepiece that tells a story you connect to. And tears. And love.
What do you mean “most watches lack soul”?
Mass-produced products lose the individuality and personality that hand-crafted watches exude. While mass-produced pieces are great for marking important moments in life, our hand-crafted watches infuse the actual memorabilia representing your moments and bring with them character that’s impossible to replicate.
What kind of material do you work with?
We work with anything! We’ve worked with NFL helmets, MLB cleats, train tracks, military tanks, branding irons, iPhones, and more. Every watch is different so feel free to call or email to chat more about your specific material and see what we can do with it. Email steve@novowatch or call 888-782-2607.
One Of One
We 100% guaranteed that no one else will have a watch like yours.
Infused with history you can really feel.
History takes on a new meaning when you can hold it in your hand.
We all have those things that hold meaning that we can’t throw away but don’t have room for. Let us make a watch from it.
PASS IT ON
Each timepiece is crafted to last for lifetimes and tell your story for generations. It’s a legacy built for your wrist.
We Would Love To Work With You!
If you have any questions about our timepieces, processes or anything else feel free to email us! I’d love to work with you.