The Coalbanks - Barrow 1885 Edition
You are looking at a piece of history repurposed for your wrist. This manually wound timepiece is made from 132 year old train track pried from the hillside of our hometown, Lethbridge, Alberta. This durable steel, manufactured by Barrow Hematite Steel Company in 1885, became the backbone of the coal mining industry and was an integral piece of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was sourced from the Galt No. 8 Mine site, which closed in 1957, and was a catalyst of economic development in aptly named Coalbanks (since changed to Lethbridge), as well as neighbouring towns Coalhurst and Coaldale. Larry Christmas, a previous chairman of the History and Heritage Committee of the Coal Association of Canada said: “The Galt No. 8 Mine site represents one of the most important abandoned coal mines in Canada...”
The Barrow Hematite Steel Company was a major iron and steel producer in Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire (now Cumbria), England, between 1859 and 1963. At the turn of the 20th-century and the technological revolution it operated the largest steel mill in the world.
Their quality steel rail now functions as the case and dial of our hand built and individually numbered timepiece. The strap is made from none other than Hermann Oak leather from one of the finest tanneries in the USA. This edition is packaged creatively in local historical books. And of course the craftsmen who make your watch are human, not machines, ensuring your timepiece is completely unique in finish. Because our watches are made by hand, please allow for minor differences in colour and texture. We hope you love it as much as we loved making it.
- Movement: ETA 6498-1
- Edition: Limited Edition of 15, individual numbered pieces x/15.
- Functions: Manually wound, 18,000 beats/hour, 46 hour power reserve, hours, minutes, sweeping second hand at the 5, incabloc shock protection.
- Case: Stainless Steel, 42mm (not including crown), 9.6mm height.
- Caseback: Stainless Steel, secured by 4 stainless steel screws.
- Dial: Machined Historical 132 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel from the Barrow railroad track.
- Finishing: Ceramic coating to resist corrosion, abrasion, chemicals & impact.
- Hands: White hour and minute hands with luminescence. Black second hand.
- Front Crystal: Sapphire
- Back Crystal: Sapphire
- Water Resistance: 5ATM
- Band: Black 20mm Hermann Oak leather. 18mm steel buckle. 115/75 mm
- Packaging: Reclaimed barnwood reclaimed for our watches.
- Warranty: 2 Year Warranty
- Guarantee: We offer a one week compliment guarantee. If someone doesn’t love your watch within one week of wearing it…you’ve probably never left your house.
- Build Time: Approx 4-6 weeks
- Love Time: Approx forever