The Coalbanks - Blaenavon 1882 Edition
$ 3,450.00 CAD
You are looking at a piece of history repurposed for your wrist. This manually wound timepiece is made from 135 year old train track pried from the hillside of our hometown, Lethbridge, Alberta. This durable steel rail, manufactured by Blaenavon Ironworks of Wales in 1882, became the backbone of the coal mining industry and was an integral piece of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was sourced from the Galt No. 8 Mine site, which closed in 1957, and was a catalyst of economic development in aptly named Coalbanks (since changed to Lethbridge), as well as neighbouring towns Coalhurst and Coaldale. Larry Christmas, a previous chairman of the History and Heritage Committee of the Coal Association of Canada said: “The Galt No. 8 Mine site represents one of the most important abandoned coal mines in Canada...”
After years of facilitating coal transport at the Galt Mine this quality steel rail, left abandoned over half a century, now functions as the case and dial of our hand built and individually numbered timepiece.The Blaenavon edition alone has undergone a heat process to darken the steel. The strap is made from none other than Hermann Oak leather from one of the finest tanneries in the USA. This edition is wrapped in a Canadian-made canvas sleeve and packaged in vintage tins found at our local antique shop, many of which feature Canadian companies. And of course the craftsmen who make your watch are human, not machines, ensuring your timepiece is completely unique in finish. Because our watches are made by hand, please allow for minor differences in colour and texture. We hope you love it as much as we loved making it.
Only 15 manual timepieces will be forged and finished using this piece of Wales and Canada’s shared history.
- Movement: ETA 6498-1
- Edition: Limited Edition of 15, individual numbered pieces x/15.
- Functions: Manually wound, 18,000 beats/hour, 46 hour power reserve, hours, minutes, sweeping second hand at the 5, incabloc shock protection.
- Case: Historical 135 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, 42mm (not including crown), 9.6mm height.
- Caseback: Historical 135 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel, secured by 4 stainless steel screws.
- Dial: Machined Historical 135 year old 1080 High Magnese Steel from Blaenavon rail.
- Finishing: Ceramic coating to resist corrosion, abrasion, chemicals & impact.
- Hands: White hour and minute hands with luminescence. White second hand.
- Front Crystal: Sapphire
- Back Crystal: Sapphire
- Water Resistance: 5ATM
- Band: 20mm Hermann Oak leather. 18mm steel buckle. 115/75 mm
- Packaging: Reclaimed barn wood
- Warranty: 2 Year Warranty
- Guarantee: We offer a one week compliment guarantee. If someone doesn’t love your watch within one week of wearing it…you’ve probably never left your house.
- Build Time: Approx. 4-6 weeks
- Love Time: Approx. forever
For more information, images, stories and videos GO HERE